Friday 1 November 2013

How it all started

I should have actually started with this blog post to explain the other four articles that I recently published.

I've always been somewhat intrigued about what it takes to get ahead, to get promoted, to get more money. All the usual suspects. I guess it's because I've found my own career stagnating and despite my best efforts, it would appear that I've hit that infamous glass ceiling.

Undeterred by this, I started reading and researching the topic until I came across a book called 'How to get ahead in your career', written by top US executive coach, Joel A. Garfinkle. I thoroughly enjoyed Joel's book and found the insight and knowledge inspiring. Here was the first expert to actually specify the three key areas that you need to focus on, namely perception, visibility, and influence, which Joel calls his PVI model.

Having read the book, I decided to go a step further and contact Joel to see if he'd kindly answer some questions based on the material in his book and my own personal experience. I then turned his answers into four blog posts: the first an overview of his book and then a look in turn at all three key areas.

Joel was kind enough to answer and allow me to use the material so that it could reach many other people who find themselves in the same position as me, namely at a career crossroads and not knowing what to do to 'get ahead'.

Fulfil your true potential

And that was my aim to begin with, to publish some blog posts about career development and see where it takes me. I hope to generate some interest and discussion with like-minded individuals and to build a real knowledge base that will be useful to lots of people and actually make a difference to your careers. If that happens, I'd be extremely happy.

I can't do this myself of course but will dedicate time to continue to build on these my first five blog posts, share what I've learnt and hopefully hear your stories about what you did to get that elusive promotion or what you've found from your own experience has or hasn't worked for you.

What I know is that there are lots of talented and highly skilled people who are probably not getting the 'rub of the green' or the level of exposure that their talent merits. Maybe, like me, you'd like to get a bit more recognition, maybe like me you're trying hard, maybe like me you don't understand what more you can do. Or maybe (like me) you don't want it badly enough.

Whatever your own personal realities, one thing is for sure. You might be the most gifted and talented person in your department, with skills that are envied by your peers, but all that won't get you very far if people in positions of influence aren't aware of the fantastic work that you do. Of course, you need to make it happen.

PS
A personal note of thanks to my colleague Jon, who set me on the blogging path.

No comments:

Post a Comment